Volume 2 Issue 1 - January 01, 2004
"The whole exercise is a sham!"
DNIS News Network -- The government has reservations for the disabled in only 3 of the 26 civil services, resulting in an unjust refusal of suitable jobs to several worthy candidates.
Every year, thousands of candidates all over the country apply for the Civil Services. Amongst them are several candidates with disabilities who are made to feel extremely comfortable while doing the exam. The use of Braille, special examination centres and false hopes has lured many an unsuspecting candidate towards the Civil Services. Unfortunately it is only after they manage to clear the exam and the interview do they get to know the truth: there are hardly any jobs for disabled people in the Civil Services.
Javed Abidi, Executive Director, National Centre for Promotion of Employment
for Disabled People (NCPEDP) rightly points out that "the whole exercise
is a sham".
Rigzian Sampheal and Lokesh Kumar D.S. are amongst those who have been victimised by this unfair system. Both are orthopaedically disabled, both secured high ranks in the SC/ST quota and both were denied jobs in the IAS, which they meritoriously deserved.
The government has reserved a quota for disabled persons in only three services: Indian P&T Accounts and Finance Service; the Indian Information Service; and the Armed Forces Headquarters Civil Service.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- VSO to tap Indian talent
- "The whole exercise is a sham!"
- Government aid needed to eradicate polio from the country
- Rajiv Gandhi Foundation: Working towards a disabled friendly city
- High-capacity buses to be a reality soon
- President to provide hope for the hearing impaired
- Law fails to protect human rights of mentally challenged prisoner
- A barrier-free environment in the new year
- Pitiable state of mental health in our country
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: