Volume 2 Issue 1 - January 01, 2004
Government aid needed to eradicate polio from the country
DNIS News Network -- A panel working on eradicating polio from the country has approached the government to seek help in its mission.
A committee comprising the Director General of the Indian Council for Medical Reasearch, Dr N.K. Ganguly, representative of the Centre for Disease Control, Atlanta, Dr Steve Kochi, WHO In-charge of the Global Polio Eradication programme, Dr Bruce Aylward and others, submitted a report to the Health Ministry recommending that President A.P.J. Kalam and Prime Minister Atal Behari Vajpayee be requested to make public appeals through media to get national support for polio eradication.
The urgency lies in the fact that while high-risk areas like Uttar Pradesh
and Bihar were found to be "promising", Karnataka and Andhra Pradesh
have been listed as the new risk zones. This outbreak in the southern states
demonstrates significant threat to areas that have previously been polio-free.
The committee has called the next six months "the most critical period
for polio eradication and also a period when strong government leadership at
all levels is most crucial."
The key recommendations of the committee are:
- The government should implement the national policy of giving polio vaccine together with BCG at the time of birth.
- The Prime Minister should hold a meeting with chief ministers of different states. Briefings for chief ministers should be held every two weeks.
- Additional doses of polio vaccine to children where a case is detected.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- VSO to tap Indian talent
- "The whole exercise is a sham!"
- Government aid needed to eradicate polio from the country
- Rajiv Gandhi Foundation: Working towards a disabled friendly city
- High-capacity buses to be a reality soon
- President to provide hope for the hearing impaired
- Law fails to protect human rights of mentally challenged prisoner
- A barrier-free environment in the new year
- Pitiable state of mental health in our country
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: