Volume 2 Issue 1 - January 01, 2004
Pitiable state of mental health in our country
DNIS News Network -- The country faces severe scarcity of resources for mental health care. The absence of relevant knowledge and education adds to the plight faced by several patients and their families.
While developed countries have a ratio of at least 100 psychiatrists per million population, certain districts of our country have only about one or two psychiatrists for one million people.
With growth in population, there is an increasing need for mental health care facilities and professionals. It would take a long time for the country to equip itself with a well-trained population of psychiatrists, clinical psychologists, nurses and social workers to meet the demands of the country. However, in the meanwhile, the government can launch short term training programmes for medical officers so that they can join the mental health team. Training family members of patients in basic-care skills is another way of increasing human resources.
Education is an important tool to enable society in dealing with patients with mental illnesses. The public has to be taught that mental disorders are treatable, they are not inheritable, the patients can take up work and other responsibilities and recovered persons can marry and lead a normal family life.
Total mental healthcare requires a number of community-level services like rehabilitation services. Due to a lack of these services a number of patients suffer from social handicaps and low self-esteem. They need a protected and secure environment to develop confidence and social skills. There is a need for voluntary organisations to take up such responsibilities and ensure a safe and healthy society for people with mental disorders.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- VSO to tap Indian talent
- "The whole exercise is a sham!"
- Government aid needed to eradicate polio from the country
- Rajiv Gandhi Foundation: Working towards a disabled friendly city
- High-capacity buses to be a reality soon
- President to provide hope for the hearing impaired
- Law fails to protect human rights of mentally challenged prisoner
- A barrier-free environment in the new year
- Pitiable state of mental health in our country
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: