Volume 3 Issue 1 - January 01, 2005
Round Table on employing disabled people in BPO industry
DNIS News Network - Senior representatives from BPO and software companies attend a Round Table Conference on ‘Employing disabled people in BPO industry: Opportunities and challenges’ in Bangalore.
A Round Table Conference on ‘Employing disabled people in BPO industry: Opportunities and challenges’ was held on December 23 at the Grand Ashok hotel, Bangalore. Senior representatives from BPO and software companies attended the meeting.
The core points for calling the meeting were for creating more employment opportunities in the BPO/IT sector, addressing issues of access with regard to employing disabled people, and bringing up concerns of employment and training of disabled people.
The group discussed four main reasons for looking at recruitment of disabled people in the BPO/IT sector, including Corporate Social Responsibility policy of the company; addressing the high attrition rates in the sectors; creating a larger pool of individuals from which people could be recruited; and, creating a system wherein people with disabilities are given an equal opportunity to a job and are encouraged to apply for relevant posts and of being assured of not being discriminated on ground of their disability.
Action points identified were a process mapping of the BPO industry and a spirit of collaboration between NGOs in the disability sector and the industry; sensitisation workshops and education for the project managers and recruiters of BPOs and IT companies. Also identified were barrier-free and disabled-friendly constructions; mobility aids for disabled people in companies; creation of a cell for companies to approach for employing people with disabilities; and documentation of the process of employment. Organisations should look at other functional areas where disabled people could be employed; a few organisations could take the lead in employing disabled people and thus becoming role models. Progeon Pvt Ltd. has agreed to train 20 disabled candidates in the coming year.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Tsunami disability relief fund set up
- Founder President of DPI- India passes away unsung
- Two posts reserved for disabled people in the Indian Administrative Service
- Ramps in Mumbai High Court
- A decade on, IEDC resting on enrolment laurels
- Helpline for mentally disabled people
- Still in a quest for justice
- Disabled friendly Shell outlet in Bangalore
- Round Table on employing disabled people in BPO industry
- Book on unsung heroes released in Bangalore
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: