Volume 6 Issue 1 - June 15, 2009
Mumbai to have beepers at traffic crossings
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The insane traffic in metros is a major problem for visually impaired people. But Mumbai Traffic Police is planning to install beepers at new Area Traffic Control signals to aid visually impaired people. The beepers will inform them when to cross the road.
“There are a few reasons behind our decision to install beepers at the new signals, but more importantly it is to help visually impaired people cross the roads themselves. The beeping sound will indicate when the signal turns green or red,” said Joint Commissioner of Police (Traffic) Sanjay Barve.
This system is already in place in countries abroad. The beepers will initially be set up in signals near schools for visually impaired people like the National Association for the Blind school at Worli. Later, they would be installed in other parts of the city.
If everything goes as planned, the system should be in place by this monsoon, said Barve.
Elaborating on the plan, Barve said, “The beepers will indicate when pedestrians can cross apart from indicating the change in signal. The sound of the beep will decrease indicating the change in signal and cautioning visually impaired people from crossing the roads.”
This move has been welcomed by associations working for visually impaired people. Vasant Hegde, General Secretary, National Federation of the Blind (Maharashtra), said, “In 1995, the government passed the Disability Act and this is reflecting its provisions. However, I am only worried that lack of maintenance may cause hindrance to the plan.”
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- India’s first visually impaired I.A.S. officer
- Visually impaired person takes charge as judge
- Prime Time News on Doordarshan to be sub-titled for deaf people
- N.C.P.E.D.P. puts in suggestions for Union and Rail Budget 2009
- Railways to recruit disabled people
- 1500 disabled friendly railway stations soon
- Mumbai to have beepers at traffic crossings
- Applications of disabled students to Delhi University on a 5 year high, but 1000 seats will still go
- Special Bus for disabled students in Delhi University
- No teacher for 10,000 disabled children in the capital
- Disabled people more vulnerable to H.I.V. /A.I.D.S. says W.H.O.
- The ‘Train’ of Thoughts
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: