Volume 6 Issue 1 - June 15, 2009
Special Bus for disabled students in Delhi University
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Come July and getting to college for disabled students in Delhi University is going to be easier than before. The Equal Opportunity Cell (E.O.C.) will soon start a bus for students with special needs as part of a pilot project.
The 30-seater bus has all facilities needed for students with physical, visual, hearing and speech impairment. It can accommodate four wheelchairs.
Announcements will be made for the benefit of visually impaired students. For students with speech and hearing impairment, buttons will be placed near seats that can be pressed to stop the bus.
The bus is almost ready to run. Final touches are being given to the hydraulic system to move the ramp so that wheelchairs can be lifted more efficiently. Currently, the hydraulic system is working at a slow pace increasing the waiting time.
Initially, the bus will cover Dhaka hostel to Metro Stations at Mall Road and Kanhaiya Nagar via Camp, Ring Road, Laxmi Bai College, Satyawati College, Shakti Nagar, main campus and Indraprastha College for Women. The bus will make four to five rounds each day of these routes starting July.
ôSince rush remains more in the morning, the route could be made wider to cover more areas while the afternoon frequency can stick to the original route,ö said an official of the E.O.C.
This bus facility is not restricted to just disabled students. In fact, faculty members with disabilities can also avail this facility. The driver and attendant of the bus will be given a day long training to understand special needs of disabled people.
Meanwhile, E.O.C. and Dean of Students, Welfare (D.S.W.) will also collate the database of disabled students taking admission in D.U. this year.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- IndiaÔÇÖs first visually impaired I.A.S. officer
- Visually impaired person takes charge as judge
- Prime Time News on Doordarshan to be sub-titled for deaf people
- N.C.P.E.D.P. puts in suggestions for Union and Rail Budget 2009
- Railways to recruit disabled people
- 1500 disabled friendly railway stations soon
- Mumbai to have beepers at traffic crossings
- Applications of disabled students to Delhi University on a 5 year high, but 1000 seats will still go
- Special Bus for disabled students in Delhi University
- No teacher for 10,000 disabled children in the capital
- Disabled people more vulnerable to H.I.V. /A.I.D.S. says W.H.O.
- The ÔÇśTrainÔÇÖ of Thoughts
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: