Volume 6 Issue 1 - June 15, 2009
The ‘Train’ of Thoughts
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: A toy train that will help children with visual impairment enhance their vocabulary. That is what students of M.S. Ramaiah School of Advanced Studies, Bangalore have designed.
Built on the lines of the popular word game, Scrabble, this game has letter blocks and players have to arrange the blocks to form a train representing a word. The player who manages to make the longer word gets all the letters. The player, who collects the maximum number of letters by forming different words, finally gets the engine of the train.
The product has been designed by Anthony V.P., Joseph F.B., Manoj Kumar Sahu, Sanath Kumar S., Shivakumar, Vinu Jose, Viswamurthy and Vivek S. under the guidance of Jayakumar, lecturer at the product design centre of the school.
“We had 100 concepts and zeroed in on seven, before finalising this educational toy. The game is designed specially for the visually impaired children, aged between eight and twelve,” said Vivek.
“One major objective that is served by the game is that it builds the vocabulary of the students, who get to think of different words, thereby improving their spelling abilities. They also relate the words to what they mean adding to the children’s knowledge,” he added.
The game was finalised after a rigorous research conducted at the National Association for the Blind, as also other schools for the blind.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- India’s first visually impaired I.A.S. officer
- Visually impaired person takes charge as judge
- Prime Time News on Doordarshan to be sub-titled for deaf people
- N.C.P.E.D.P. puts in suggestions for Union and Rail Budget 2009
- Railways to recruit disabled people
- 1500 disabled friendly railway stations soon
- Mumbai to have beepers at traffic crossings
- Applications of disabled students to Delhi University on a 5 year high, but 1000 seats will still go
- Special Bus for disabled students in Delhi University
- No teacher for 10,000 disabled children in the capital
- Disabled people more vulnerable to H.I.V. /A.I.D.S. says W.H.O.
- The ‘Train’ of Thoughts
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: