Volume 7 Issue 1 - January 01, 2010
Sports scheme for disabled people to be implemented only in ‘special schools’!
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The Ministry for Youth Affairs and Sports has announced a scheme to promote participative sports among disabled people. The scheme will provide grants for coaching, procuring sports equipments and organizing district, state and national level competitions for disabled sportspersons. This is India’s first ever sports policy for people with disabilities.
However what is surprising is that the scheme will be implemented on a pilot basis for a 5 year period but only in special schools and schools which cater to disabled children!! This goes against the Government’s own policy for inclusiveness.
The scheme will support 250 students in 5 schools in each State and Union Territory. The schools will be selected for grants through open invitations and after recommendation from a Committee to be headed by Joint Secretary, Sports.
India’s first policy on sports for disabled people comes close on the heels of the fiasco at the I.W.A.S. World Games in Bengaluru organised by the Paralympics Committee of India and amid allegations of corruption. Such a myopic and discriminatory implementation would further enrage the disability sector.Read the full text of the Sports scheme (PDF - 117 KB)
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Cabinet approves bill to amend Right to Education Act
- Copyright Act to be amended
- User Interface is the theme for Techshare 2010
- Access not legally binding, feels Urban Development Joint Secretary!
- Sports scheme for disabled people to be implemented only in ‘special schools’!
- Centre does a U-turn. Deaf persons cannot drive!
- U.S. issues positive statement at W.I.P.O.
- North Zone Consultation on New Disability Act in January
- U.K. Foreign Secretary cites N.C.P.E.D.P. Project
- U.G.C. to fill up posts reserved for disabled people by the end of financial year
- Kendriya Vidyalayas to recruit special education teachers
- Rights group observes International Fortnight against Violence on Women
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: