Volume 7 Issue 1 - January 01, 2010
Cabinet approves bill to amend Right to Education Act
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The Amendment Bill to the Right to Education Act 2009 has been formally approved by the Union Cabinet. The amendments will include adding children with disabilities under the ‘disadvantaged’ category and bringing disabilities like autism, mental retardation and other intellectual disabilities under the overall definition of ‘disability’. The Bill is likely to be introduced in the budget session of the Parliament.
In July this year, disabled rights leaders had vehemently protested the Act as it included only those disabilities defined under the Disability Act of 1995. Also, the Act did not consider disabled children under the ‘disadvantaged children’ category. It was only after the intervention of Prime Minster, Dr. Manmohan Singh and U.P.A. Chairperson, Sonia Gandhi that the Human Resource Development Ministry agreed to include the concerns of the disability sector in the Act.
For the last few months, some disability sector leaders have been working to ‘look’ at the amendments process. However, in a typical reactive and ultra slow mannerism that the sector has long been accused of, nothing concrete has been achieved as yet. In fact when D.N.I.S. spoke to one such leader, she wasn’t even aware that the Amendment Bill had already been approved by the Union Cabinet.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Cabinet approves bill to amend Right to Education Act
- Copyright Act to be amended
- User Interface is the theme for Techshare 2010
- Access not legally binding, feels Urban Development Joint Secretary!
- Sports scheme for disabled people to be implemented only in ‘special schools’!
- Centre does a U-turn. Deaf persons cannot drive!
- U.S. issues positive statement at W.I.P.O.
- North Zone Consultation on New Disability Act in January
- U.K. Foreign Secretary cites N.C.P.E.D.P. Project
- U.G.C. to fill up posts reserved for disabled people by the end of financial year
- Kendriya Vidyalayas to recruit special education teachers
- Rights group observes International Fortnight against Violence on Women
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: