Volume 8 Issue 1 - January 01, 2011
Paralympic athlete left stranded at Delhi airportD.N.I.S. News Network, India: A wheelchair user Para athlete Manjula M. was left stranded at the Indira Gandhi International Airport in New Delhi. With no assistance and money or ticket, Manjula had a nightmarish experience on her way back to Bangalore. She was returning home after participating in the recently concluded Para Asian Games in Guangzhou, China.
Manjula, who earned a berth for the 2012 Paralympics in London after her eight place finish in discus throw, was abandoned at the Delhi airport after landing. There were six officials who had come as escorts and were travelling with the athlete, including P.C.I. Treasurer Shankar Iyer, but none of them stayed back to help Manjula. These officials who were supposed to take care of the athletes did not bother to book Manjula’s ticket from New Delhi to Bangalore.
P.C.I. officials, however, brushed off the controversy and termed it as “a small incident”. The disabled athlete was left unattended for hours before she contacted her personal coach in Delhi who helped her book a ticket back home. As per rules, flight bookings for all athletes should be made from India before the contingent leaves for the Games.
This shows a clear sense of ignorance on behalf of P.C.I. Manjula had reminded officials before departing from Guangzhou that her Delhi - Bangalore ticket had not been booked, but they ignored her request and did not act on it.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- â€śCertain vested interests are spreading the rumour that I am demanding abolition of the National Trust,â€ť Javed Abidi
- D.R.G. members protest outside Wasnikâ€™s residence
- Consultation on U.N.C.R.P.D., draft Mental Health Care Act and the draft new Disability Act held
- Another glaring episode of blatant discrimination in the Civil Services
- M.S.J.E. embarrassed on employment data once again!
- India strikes Gold in Para Asian Games
- P.C.I. holidays at Guangzhou
- Paralympic athlete left stranded at Delhi airport
- Awareness about Disability Law dismal
- R.T.E. impact: Rajasthan sets up resource centres for disabled children
- Army dedicates 2011 to its disabled personnel
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: