Volume 8 Issue 1 - January 01, 2011
Awareness about Disability Law dismalD.N.I.S. News Network, India: The Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act was passed in 1995 - almost fifteen years ago. It was enacted to create a barrier-free environment and to make special provisions for the integration of disabled people into the social mainstream. However, even after fifteen years, the various provisions in the Disability Act and awareness about rights, need and care of disabled persons remains dismal and the issue of accessibility remains a far cry.
To assess the level of awareness about different provisions of the Disability Act 1995 among disabled people, an audit of all six backward states in India was conducted by the Centre for Media Studies (C.M.S.). According to the C.M.S. Social Disability Audit, all the six backward states showed poor results as far as awareness of rights was concerned. The audit was conducted in four specific areas - awareness of the Disability Act 1995, awareness of at least one government scheme, beneficiary of any government scheme and owning disability certificate. In Bihar and Chhattisgarh, only 2% of the population surveyed was even aware of the Disability Act 1995. In Jharkhand (1.5%) and U.P. (0.5%), it was even worse.
For more details, please refer to the Monograph brought out by C.M.S. Social entitled, ‘Empowering People with Disabilities: Challenges and Opportunities’. To get a copy, you can write to firstname.lastname@example.org.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “Certain vested interests are spreading the rumour that I am demanding abolition of the National Trust,” Javed Abidi
- D.R.G. members protest outside Wasnik’s residence
- Consultation on U.N.C.R.P.D., draft Mental Health Care Act and the draft new Disability Act held
- Another glaring episode of blatant discrimination in the Civil Services
- M.S.J.E. embarrassed on employment data once again!
- India strikes Gold in Para Asian Games
- P.C.I. holidays at Guangzhou
- Paralympic athlete left stranded at Delhi airport
- Awareness about Disability Law dismal
- R.T.E. impact: Rajasthan sets up resource centres for disabled children
- Army dedicates 2011 to its disabled personnel
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: