Volume 3 Issue 10 - May 15, 2005
N.C.P.E.D.P. organises Disability and Law workshop in Goa
DNIS News Network - A workshop on Disability and Law was conducted by N.C.P.E.D.P. in association with Caritas-Goa, North Goa District Advocates Association and Disability Rights Association (D.R.A.G.), in Panjim, Goa, on 30 April.
Goa is not only a home for thousands of disabled people but also one of the most popular tourist destinations in India. The workshop was conducted with the aim of stirring the disability movement in Goa, and to raise awareness within the sector and the legal community about the legislative provisions present in Indian law to safeguard the rights of disabled persons. It was supported by the British High Commission.
The workshop was inaugurated by Nikhil Kumar, Collector, North Goa, who is also the Additional Commissioner for Persons with Disabilities in North Goa. The workshop saw enthusiastic participation by people from all walks of life including lawyers, persons with disabilities, doctors, teachers, bureaucrats, etc.
Speaking about the State-level implementation of disability legislation, Mr Fernandes, Assistant Director of Social Welfare, in-charge of schemes and programmes, listed out the various schemes available for disabled persons provided by the Directorate of Social Welfare. However, he could not give a convincing answer as to why the office of the Social Welfare Department is not accessible -- it is currently on the first floor, has spiral staircase and broken railings. The other eminent speakers were Adv. Ehrlich A. de Souza, Vice President, North Goa District Advocates Association, Avelino DeSa (President, D.R.A.G.) and Adv. Caroline Social Activist and member of State Consumer Commission.
In the ‘Open House’ session, apart from the urgent need expressed by the participants quite vociferously to shift the office of the Social Welfare Department, other important recommendations that came were that of including disability aspects in building by-laws; appointing a full time Commissioner for persons with disability; creating awareness on the various issues; making the issuance of Disability Certificate easier by having the facility in many more hospitals; ensuring that the upcoming bye-elections are made disabled friendly, etc. On the occasion, a website on disability, www.disabilitygoa.com was also inaugurated by Nikhil Kumar. The website, an effort of D.R.A.G., provides comprehensive information on disability vis-à-vis Goa.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Crisis finally resolved; employees get jobs in I.G.L.
- Railways turns deaf ear to memorandum from N.C.P.E.D.P.; claims it is doing ‘enough’
- N.I.A. to offer health insurance to persons with mental, physical disabilities
- Failure to implement reservation; Delhi High Court stays appointment of Principals
- India's first indigenous automated wheelchair ready, courtesy army officers
- Sensitising future administrators about disability
- Assam Government agrees to demand for multiple exam venues for disabled candidates
- N.C.P.E.D.P. organises Disability and Law workshop in Goa
- Pakistan to host regional seminar on Inclusive Education; Javed Abidi to recount Indian experience
- Mental illness to be the greatest killer by 2020
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: