Volume 3 Issue 10 - May 15, 2005
Pakistan to host regional seminar on Inclusive Education; Javed Abidi to recount Indian experience
DNIS News Network - Experts and activists from civil society organisations in South Asia will brainstorm and initiate dialogue on how to bring children and youth with special needs and disabilities into the mainstream, for cohesive social inclusion.
A two-day regional seminar on Inclusive Education will be held in Lahore from 16-17 May at University of Punjabís Quaid-e-Azam Campus. The seminar is being organised by the universityís Department of Special Education and is expected to generate fresh ideas with the confluence of stakeholders of the region, which shares a similar social and political milieu. Since the 1990s, the disability sector has striven for inclusive education, as segregation in name of special schools has not only failed in social inclusion, but also has alienated children with disabilities.
Javed Abidi, Executive Director, National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N. C. P. E. D. P.), will be attending the seminar. Abidi will present a paper, ĎAdvocacy initiatives for inclusive education leading a policy to make education in India disabled friendlyí, to share the Indian experience and N. C. P. E. D. P.ís strategic advocacy campaign to successfully draw the governmentís attention towards an inclusive education. The campaign had paved the way for the announcement of a comprehensive policy by the Ministry for Human Resource Development.
The seminar, which will have 14 exhaustive sessions, will see discussions not only on policy aspects, but also a sharing of success stories of inclusive schools.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Crisis finally resolved; employees get jobs in I.G.L.
- Railways turns deaf ear to memorandum from N.C.P.E.D.P.; claims it is doing ‚Äėenough‚Äô
- N.I.A. to offer health insurance to persons with mental, physical disabilities
- Failure to implement reservation; Delhi High Court stays appointment of Principals
- India's first indigenous automated wheelchair ready, courtesy army officers
- Sensitising future administrators about disability
- Assam Government agrees to demand for multiple exam venues for disabled candidates
- N.C.P.E.D.P. organises Disability and Law workshop in Goa
- Pakistan to host regional seminar on Inclusive Education; Javed Abidi to recount Indian experience
- Mental illness to be the greatest killer by 2020
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: