Volume 6 Issue 10 - November 01, 2009
Minister promises amendments to N.R.E.G.A.
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Minister for Rural Development, Dr. C.P. Joshi has promised to make necessary amendments to the National Rural Employment Guarantee Act (N.R.E.G.A.) to consider persons with disabilities as one unit and to issue separate job cards and allot work to disabled persons according to their interest, aptitude and abilities. This comes after disabled activists under the banner of Viklang Manch submitted 6 demands to the Minister, after social audits at the panchayat level.
The demands also included adding disability in Section 4 of the Act with other vulnerable groups, reserving 3 percent of all expenditure in each district for disabled people and inclusion of new jobs and jobs specific for particular disabilities.
N.R.E.G.A. is one of the country’s flagship programmes that promises 100 days of employment in a year to rural households. While the Act does not mention disability as a deterrent for providing employment, it does not mention specific jobs that can be sanctioned to people with disabilities.
The government, in 2008, had issued an order listing jobs that can be sanctioned to disabled people but only Madhya Pradesh has notified it till now.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- The ‘C.A.T.’ is belled!
- 4th Meeting of N.C.R.P.D. – India held
- Minister promises amendments to N.R.E.G.A.
- U.G.C. directs Universities to implement Disability Act 1995
- Efforts to connect disability certificate to Unique Identification Number
- Badhte Kadam: A National Trust Initiative
- National Conference on I.C.T.s for people with disabilities
- N.C.P.E.D.P. releases 5 baseline reports
- Government’s commitments to disabled people largely unfulfilled: World Bank
- Corruption mars tricycle P.C.O. scheme for disabled people
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: