Volume 6 Issue 10 - November 01, 2009
Corruption mars tricycle P.C.O. scheme for disabled people
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: In a serious case of exploitation of people with disabilities, rampant corruption has been uncovered in the Rs. 1 crore mobile P.C.O. scheme launched by the Delhi government for disabled people. The scandal allegedly borders on the levels of an organised crime.
Several such mobile P.C.O.s, each costing Rs. 20,000, are fraudulently procured by the same non-disabled person who then hires disabled persons to run them. One such person was found to own as many as 32 P.C.O.s. His monthly earning from each P.C.O. is Rs. 15,000 of which he pays a pitiable Rs. 1,000 to the person running it, along with food and a place to stay.
This racket obviously enjoys the favour of politicians, bureaucrats and the police, without which it would not only be difficult for a non-disabled person to procure the mobile P.C.O.s but also impossible to run them. When contacted, Rajkumar Chauhan, Welfare Minister, Government of Delhi justified the situation saying “it was not a crime as long as disabled people are earning some money out of it”.
According to the Disability Act of 1995, abusing schemes for disabled people is a criminal activity that could land one in jail for a minimum of two years. However, with an unholy nexus thriving on this scheme, justice seems to be a far cry.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- The ‘C.A.T.’ is belled!
- 4th Meeting of N.C.R.P.D. – India held
- Minister promises amendments to N.R.E.G.A.
- U.G.C. directs Universities to implement Disability Act 1995
- Efforts to connect disability certificate to Unique Identification Number
- Badhte Kadam: A National Trust Initiative
- National Conference on I.C.T.s for people with disabilities
- N.C.P.E.D.P. releases 5 baseline reports
- Government’s commitments to disabled people largely unfulfilled: World Bank
- Corruption mars tricycle P.C.O. scheme for disabled people
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: