Volume 9 Issue 10 - August 01, 2012
Delhi High Court terms Asha Kiran as “worst kind of human rights violation”D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Coming down heavily on the infamous Government run welfare home for people with disabilities, Asha Kiran, the Delhi High Court has termed the treatment meted out to inmates with mental disabilities as the “worst kind of human rights violation”.
"You are keeping them like animals. Are they chattel? There cannot be worse kind of human rights violation than this,” said a Division Bench of Chief Justice A.K. Sikri and Justice Rajiv Sahai Endlaw, appalled at the pictures of an inspection report.
The Bench also took serious exception to the fact that 2 lawyers appointed by the Court to inspect the home were detained illegally. The lawyers alleged they witnessed a man with a mental disability carrying a dead body inside the compound, inmates having nothing to wear and forced to stay naked.
Appearing for Delhi Government, counsel Shobhna Takiar tried to defend by saying that the home is overcrowded as its capacity is only 300 while at present 950 people are staying there! The Bench has sought a detailed report on the issue.Asha Kiran Home is run by the Delhi Government in collaboration with an N.G.O. called Hope Foundation.
Asha Kiran has become notorious for over-crowding, unhygienic living conditions and rampant abuse of people with disabilities living there. Yet, for years on end, the Government seems to be happy fighting litigations on the issue and setting up numerous Committees to “look into the matter”.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Department of Disability Affairs gets its first Secretary!
- Scholarships for students with disabilities
- Cabinet decides to treat disabled athletes on par with non-disabled athletes
- Olympians to get coaching jobs
- Delhi High Court terms Asha Kiran as “worst kind of human rights violation”
- Handbook on tax concessions for people with disabilities
- Stark difference in Census figures on disability in U.S. and Bangladesh
- W.H.O. to hold consultation on forced sterilization
- U.P. starts internship programme on disability for law students
- Persons with disabilities to climb Mt. Stok Kangri in Leh
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: