Volume 2 Issue 11 - June 01, 2004
City reeling under severe blood shortage
DNIS News Network -- New Delhi's medical institutions are suffering from a severe shortage of blood and the city's 2,000 thalassaemics are expected to be worst affected by the crisis.
According to Dr J.S. Arora, General Secretary, Thalassaemia Welfare Society, "The annual blood requirement of the city is about 3 lakh units per annum. During the summer months the supply dips to such an extent that thalassaemics often have to cope with as little as half of their required amount.
"This leads to haemoglobin levels dipping to 8-9, giving rise to a vicious circle of infections and further loss of haemoglobin."
Dr Arora added that the shortage was fairly uniform in all the regional blood transfusion centres catering especially for thalassaemics. These centres are located at hospitals throughout Delhi, including AIIMS, Guru Tegh Bahadur, Hindu Rao, Ram Manohar Lohia and Safdurjung hospitals.
According to officials at the various blood banks, the major shortage of blood is experienced during these months due to the closure of colleges and educational institutions, which makes it difficult to set up blood donation camps. Another reason cited is the lethargy among donors because of the heat and recurrent summer infections making potential donors clinically unable to donate.
Dr Kavita Chatterjee who is in charge of the blood bank at AIIMS, said: "There is always a blood shortage from August to April."
Willing donors should contact their local hospitals directly.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Disabled people in Olympic Torch Relay
- Disabled students exam result
- RCI publishes list of courses for disability professionals
- Leprosy patients seek protection of human rights
- City reeling under severe blood shortage
- Advances in prevention of blindness for glaucoma
- HFI Project extended
- Airtel launches services for hearing impaired
- Mumbai teenager given chance to see again
- Pulse Polio campaign
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: