Volume 2 Issue 11 - June 01, 2004
Airtel launches services for hearing impaired
DNIS News Network -- Mobile phone service provider Airtel has launched the confidence plan for its hearing impaired users.
Ranjan Bharti Mittal, Joint Managing Director, Bharti Tele Ventures, launched the plan on May 20, in Mumbai, accompanied by Bollywood actor and brand ambassador Shahrukh Khan.
Users need to pay an activation charge of Rs 250 initially when the connection is taken and then a monthly rental of Rs 99 as monthly rentals to continue using the service. About 2,000 local SMSs from Airtel to Airtel are given free under this plan. The charge from Airtel to any other network is 30 paise. The cost of each international and VAS (Value Added Service) SMS are Rs 3 and Rs 5, respectively.
Speaking on the occasion Mittal said, "The thought behind this initiative is to make communication easier with society at large." Shahrukh Khan added: "We should help those people who are not privileged like us."
Interested potential users would need to produce a Government Certificate certifying them as auditory impaired individuals. When Techtree asked one of its hearing impaired students, Ganesh Wanshi, who was provided with the "Confidence plan" enabled handset, what he thought of the new plan, he said: "I am very happy because I can now send as many messages as I want to my friends."
This scheme has been available across selected outlets since May 24.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Disabled people in Olympic Torch Relay
- Disabled students exam result
- RCI publishes list of courses for disability professionals
- Leprosy patients seek protection of human rights
- City reeling under severe blood shortage
- Advances in prevention of blindness for glaucoma
- HFI Project extended
- Airtel launches services for hearing impaired
- Mumbai teenager given chance to see again
- Pulse Polio campaign
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: