Volume 6 Issue 11 - November 15, 2009
U.N. resolution to align M.D.G.s towards disability issues
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: United Nation’s General Assembly has come up with a resolution for realising the Millennium Development Goals (M.D.G.s) for persons with disabilities urging governments and Member States to explicitly include disability issues and persons with disabilities in national plans and tools designed to contribute to the full realization of M.D.G.s.
The resolution calls for Governments to enable persons with disabilities to participate as agents and beneficiaries of development, particularly in all efforts aimed at achieving M.D.G.s, by ensuring that programmes and policies on poverty and hunger, achieving universal primary education, promoting gender equality and empowerment of women, reduction of child mortality, improvement of maternal health, combating H.I.V./A.I.D.S., etc. are inclusive of and accessible to persons with disabilities.
The resolution also emphasizes the need for Governments to develop and accelerate exchange of information, guidelines and standards, legislative measures and policies regarding the situation of persons with disabilities and disability issues. And the need to build a knowledge base of data and information about the situation of persons with disabilities that could be used to enable development policy planning, monitoring, evaluation and implementation to be disability-sensitive.
Although ‘disability’ is very relevant to each M.D.G., it is nonetheless not mentioned in any one of the eight goals.
The upcoming high – level plenary meeting to review the implementation of M.D.G.s in 2010 is an important opportunity to enhance efforts in this regard. It is time for disabled rights activists and leaders to write to the Government of India urging them to support this resolution.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- N.C.P.E.D.P. Chairperson receives Japan’s highest civilian honour
- 11th N.C.P.E.D.P. Shell Helen Keller Awards announced
- ‘No to Amendments! Yes to New Law!!’ is the war cry for World Disability Day 2009
- Accessibility knowledge series launched
- Ministry fixes no technical criteria for conducting access audits!
- Military schools debar disabled children
- Doctors ditch camp meant to disburse disability certificates
- U.N. resolution to align M.D.G.s towards disability issues
- Shameful discrimination against disabled people
- Demand for audio description of Bollywood films on the rise
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: