Volume 6 Issue 11 - November 15, 2009
Demand for audio description of Bollywood films on the rise
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: A survey conducted by Royal National Institute of Blind People (R.N.I.B.), a U.K. based organisation, has revealed that there is a strong demand for audio description of Bollywood films. The survey was conducted to explore the potential interest in audio described Bollywood films among blind and partially sighted film viewers in the U.K. Majority stated that they were more likely to watch a Bollywood film with audio description than without it and most preferred the description to be in Hindi.
Audio description is an additional commentary that describes the onscreen action, body language and facial expressions between dialogues. To ‘hear what you can’t see’ is the basis of audio description. It gives information about things one might not be able to see and by listening, one can keep up with the action.
While accessibility to television programmes in India is non-existent, in countries like the U.K., a stringent law mandating all television channels to provide audio description for at least 10 percent of its programmes has made sure that visually impaired persons have access to T.V. shows.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- N.C.P.E.D.P. Chairperson receives Japan’s highest civilian honour
- 11th N.C.P.E.D.P. Shell Helen Keller Awards announced
- ‘No to Amendments! Yes to New Law!!’ is the war cry for World Disability Day 2009
- Accessibility knowledge series launched
- Ministry fixes no technical criteria for conducting access audits!
- Military schools debar disabled children
- Doctors ditch camp meant to disburse disability certificates
- U.N. resolution to align M.D.G.s towards disability issues
- Shameful discrimination against disabled people
- Demand for audio description of Bollywood films on the rise
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: