Volume 6 Issue 11 - November 15, 2009
Shameful discrimination against disabled people
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: A wheelchair user is refused entry into a nightclub in Kolkata. Another is denied entry into a music concert in Mumbai. No, we are not talking about the pre Independence era nor are we talking about apartheid. This is 21st century India. Shocking but true!
Fourteen years since the Disability Act, 1995 came into force and two years since U.N.C.R.P.D. was ratified, the implementation obviously, is close to none. Even now, people with disabilities do not have equal access to public places. A blatant violation of the law and no one seems to care!
“This is ridiculous. Are we still under British rule when only white people could get entry into public places?” asked an angry Vandana Bedi, a senior Disability and Development Consultant.
“It should become a police case. The least that the nightclub should do is to come out with an apology and amend their club policies,” she added.
However, these are just reported cases. There are hundreds and thousands of disabled people who face discrimination at every stage of their lives which goes against the basic tenets of human rights. A shameful blot on Indian democracy.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- N.C.P.E.D.P. Chairperson receives Japan’s highest civilian honour
- 11th N.C.P.E.D.P. Shell Helen Keller Awards announced
- ‘No to Amendments! Yes to New Law!!’ is the war cry for World Disability Day 2009
- Accessibility knowledge series launched
- Ministry fixes no technical criteria for conducting access audits!
- Military schools debar disabled children
- Doctors ditch camp meant to disburse disability certificates
- U.N. resolution to align M.D.G.s towards disability issues
- Shameful discrimination against disabled people
- Demand for audio description of Bollywood films on the rise
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: