Volume 4 Issue 12 - June 15, 2006
New State Policy for disabled in Goa – first in the country
D.N.I.S. News Network – The smallest state in
The new State Policy - the first in the country – has come in response to a P.I.L. filed sometime back by two Law students Charmaine Abreu Lobo and Sanford Facho, who had highlighted in their P.I.L. that the State Government was lagging in the implementation of the Disability Act 1995. In its new policy and plan of action submitted to the High Court recently, the Government has committed itself to work for the welfare of disabled people. In the matter of jobs, the policy envisages equal opportunities apart from 3 per cent reservation provided against identified government jobs.
The policy makes it mandatory for all public buildings, transport systems, hospitals and tourist areas to have facilities that provide them easy access. The Government says that facilities like ramps, special seating in buses and toilets will be set up by 2008 and that it has already begun work to ensure the policy translates into action within the said deadline. The Secretary, Social Welfare, has promised that hospitals, educational institutions, university and tourism areas will be made easy access areas.
In an earlier hearing, the Court
had asked the Social Welfare Department to conduct access audit of public
buildings in the cities.
The Department of Social Welfare had conducted an audit of government buildings, and provided facilities for the disabled people as a result of this order.
The High Court has given three weeks’ time to Goa Government to chart a course of action and work out the timeframe for implementation of the Disability Act.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “Our mission is to provide year round sports to all children with intellectual disabilities”: Keelor
- New State Policy for disabled in Goa – first in the country
- Accessible accommodation denied in Symbiosis Law College; Nightmare continues for Pooja Sharma
- C.B.S.E. results project grim picture of education for disabled in India
- Drastic drop in number of disabled students; D.U. to blame?
- Centre tells U.P., Bihar to shoulder blame for rising polio cases
- A.S.I. announces special vehicle, entrance into Taj for physically disabled tourists
- In a new initiative I.T.C.-Welcomgroup employs disabled people
- Disabled children to counter ‘paper chasing’ in University of Madras
- D.U. colleges to make campus disabled-friendly
- Nehru Park to be first ever disabled-friendly park in Delhi
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: