Volume 9 Issue 12 - September 01, 2012
228 deaths in Asha Kiran since 2005D.N.I.S. News Network, India: In a shocking revelation, the Delhi Government has stated in an affidavit filed in the High Court that 228 inmates of Asha Kiran, a Government run shelter home for children and adults with mental disabilities, have died since 2005! The shelter home is in the middle of an inquiry and Public Interest Litigation (P.I.L.) for human rights abuses, overcrowding and unhygienic living conditions that have allegedly led to several deaths.
Earlier, the Delhi High Court during a hearing of the P.I.L. had termed it the "worst kind of human rights violation". According to the Government’s affidavit, the deaths have occurred not due to negligence but because of biological factor arising out of severe disabilities and chronic ailments!
A newspaper report stated that the Government has stated that it has been able to bring down the deaths from 59 in 2005-06 to 13 in 2011-12 by doing “excellent work”!
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- First Paralympic medallist wiped away from all official records
- 228 deaths in Asha Kiran since 2005
- N.C.P.E.D.P. to organise National Convention on Youth with Disabilities
- New law in the offing to prevent schools from discriminating against ‘weak’ students
- No blanket ban on students with upper limb impairment in medical course, High Court
- Deaf people to be able to text for help during emergency
- N.H.R.C. to organise National Conference on leprosy
- Wadhwani Foundation’s initiative to train & recruit 13,500 people with disabilities
- D.U. proposes exclusive accommodation for students with disabilities!
- Golf camp for people with disabilities
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: