Volume 2 Issue 13 - July 01, 2004
Legal big guns support regional disability law unit workshop
DNIS News Network -- A workshop for the North East region Disability Law Unit was held on June 25 in Guwahati, Assam.
Organised jointly by National Centre for Promotion of Employment of Disabled
People and Guwahati-based Shishu-Sarothi, the day brought together more than
80 lawyers and NGO workers to discuss the legal situation of disabled people
in the region.
NCPEDP, with Rs8.5million funding from the British High Commission’s Global opportunities Fund, has set up three regional law units so far, one of which is based in Guwahati.
The workshop provided an opportunity for interested parties from all eight states in the North-east region. Lawyers, service providers and people from a large number of NGO’s gathered together to discuss how the law, in particular the Disability Act 1995, can be used to improve the lives of India’s 60million disabled people and their families.
The workshop’s chief guest, the Honourable Chief Justice Shri PP Naolekar, stressed that lawyers and disability organisations must take an active role in making sure that the Act was fully enforced. “Legislation alone will not help unless it is used,” he told delegates.
He advised all those present to press local government departments to monitor their reservations of posts for disabled people and to ensure that the quotas were filled.
Echoing these sentiments, Mr Colin Gonsalves, director of the Human Rights Legal network, who had flown in from Delhi to speak at the workshop, urged delegates to act positively and to avoid being overwhelmed by legal processes: “Don’t follow the rules of society,” he said, “Our sector is outside society, it is ignored by society.”
He also encouraged people to keep going, even if they sometimes felt they were a lone voice against the bulk of Indian bureaucracy: “It’s not one person protesting,” he said, “it’s society. It’s not about numbers, it’s about the case you make.”
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Delhi judge rules dyslexia is a disability
- Legal big guns support regional disability law unit workshop
- Visually impaired professionals provide new insight for IT firm
- Botox therapy for cerebral palsy
- Medics draw blood at call centres
- Delhi's hospitals are hoping for a brighter future
- Delhi University's disability certificate bureaucracy
- Health camps for disabled children
- Welfare for disabled people
- Bhopal disabled a step closer to justice
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: