Volume 4 Issue 13 - July 01, 2006
Government to rehabilitate polio victims; Rs. 1,039 crore earmarked for polio eradication
D.N.I.S. News Network – Apart from focusing on prevention, the Government has for the first time taken up the responsibility of rehabilitating about 20,000 polio victims in the country.
The Cabinet Committee on Economic Affairs has earmarked Rs. 20 crore for providing corrective surgery and rehabilitating polio victims, in addition to equipping them to earn their livelihood. This is a part of the Rs 1,039 crore funds approved by the Cabinet on a Health Ministry proposal for implementing the polio eradication strategies during the current financial year.
The strategies include the conduct of four nationwide rounds of polio immunisation combined with several rounds of sub-national immunisation in high risk States and areas, in addition to mop-up rounds where polio cases are detected in other States. The exact number of sub-national and mop up rounds would depend on recommendations of the group of experts as and when required.
As per the
National Polio Surveillance Project - a joint programme of the Union Health
Ministry and the World Health Organisation, 60 cases of polio have already
been detected in
Health Ministry officials had come down heavily on the Uttar Pradesh and Bihar
Governments for their irresponsible behaviour and had told them to shoulder
the blame for the failure to check polio cases in their respective states.
As many as 33 States and
to the fact that the country had been spending over Rs. 1,000 crore a year
for the polio eradication programme, the officials said that if Uttar Pradesh
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- M.S.J.E. comes up with its own proposal for amendments to the Disability Act!
- Government to rehabilitate polio victims; Rs. 1,039 crore earmarked for polio eradication
- Grant provisional admission to disabled student: Delhi High Court tells D.U.
- National Institute for Persons with Multiple Disabilities in Tamil Nadu
- Delhi Government increases ex-gratia payment for war disabled soldiers
- Loopholes in the proposed Delhi Building Bylaws
- 200 high-capacity buses to hit Delhi roads in next six months
- Specially designed bus shelters in the offing
- New devices for visually impaired launched
- ‘Disabled’ fans ejected from stadium
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: