Volume 4 Issue 13 - July 01, 2006
200 high-capacity buses to hit Delhi roads in next six months
D.N.I.S. News Network – Delhi Transport Corporation has given the
green signal for specially designed low-floor buses to ply in
Six low-floor buses have already been operating in the city since November 2005. But due to the need for wide and levelled roads for their operation, these buses have been restricted to only Route No. 620 stretching from Shivaji Stadium to Hauz Khas bus terminal.
The H.C.B.S. was envisaged as a system where specially-designed buses could run at high speed along five specially-built corridors as the existing roads are not compatible.
R.I.T.E.S., the project consultant is reported to have said that tenders had not been awarded even for the first corridor, despite the fact that the Supreme Court, in its ruling in March 2006, had given the Delhi Government eight weeks to complete the tender process.
The H.C.B.S. has a long history starting 2002 when the five corridors were first identified. Plans were to be drawn up in 6-9 months and implemented in a year. Tenders were invited in October 2004. In December the same year, the Planning Commission allotted Rs. 122 crore. After this the project almost came to a standstill, and in May 2005 the Transport Department moved fresh tenders with the realisation that the cost had overshot the estimates. Finally, in November 2005 six high-capacity buses started plying on two routes, but were shifted to only Route No. 620 a month later.
One hopes that this time round the disabled friendly buses will finally be on the roads as planned.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- M.S.J.E. comes up with its own proposal for amendments to the Disability Act!
- Government to rehabilitate polio victims; Rs. 1,039 crore earmarked for polio eradication
- Grant provisional admission to disabled student: Delhi High Court tells D.U.
- National Institute for Persons with Multiple Disabilities in Tamil Nadu
- Delhi Government increases ex-gratia payment for war disabled soldiers
- Loopholes in the proposed Delhi Building Bylaws
- 200 high-capacity buses to hit Delhi roads in next six months
- Specially designed bus shelters in the offing
- New devices for visually impaired launched
- ‘Disabled’ fans ejected from stadium
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: