Volume 2 Issue 14 - July 15, 2004
Disabled doctors make a differenceDNIS News Network -- Three doctors in Mumbai may have been labelled disabled but that does not stop them from being few of the most sought after in their field.
Dr Suresh Advani, Dr Eric Borges and Dr Behram Pardiwalla are few of the most reputed doctors in Mumbai. Ask the patients who queue up every day for appointments. These patients don’t seem affected by the fact that their doctors are ‘disabled’.
Oncologist Dr Suresh Advani had been struck by polio in both limbs at the age of eight. This was the reason he was refused admission to Grant Medical College despite being a topper at university. Currently the director of medical oncology at Jaslok hospital, Dr Advani says, “my disability has never been a handicap for me.” The 2002 Padmashri and the 2003 Dhanvantri award recipient is best known for pioneering bone marrow transplant in India in 1982.
Dr Eric Borges is consultant cardiologist at Bombay Hospital. Though afflicted
with polio at the age of one, he says, “I believe there is always room
at the top and my disability never came in the way of my reaching there.”
After topping his MBBS batch in 1974, he went on to help the government of Mauritius
set up its first cardiac centre.
Though his right leg and left arm were afflicted by polio when he was two, Dr Behram Pardiwalla is a consultant physician at Breach Candy Hospital. His most noteworthy achievement is the setting up of the Indian Society of Critical Care.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Good news for India’s visually challenged
- India sets up first gene screening lab in South Asia
- ‘Vision 2020-India’: restoring sight to the blind
- No posts for blind in the Civil Services?
- NGOs seen as only answer to social reform
- Action For Autism lays foundation stone
- Disabled doctors make a difference
- Union Budget sensitive to disability sector
- Railway minister unable to fulfil expectations
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: