Volume 4 Issue 14 - July 15, 2006
“Mental illness will not be removed from Disability Act”: Subbulakshmi Jegadeesan
D.N.I.S. News Network – Allaying fears of psychiatrists, Union Minister of State for Social Justice & Empowerment Subbalakshmi Jagadeesan assured that mental illness would not be removed from the Disability Act, 1995, and that the Centre was keen on support reaching the people suffering from this disability.
The Minister’s assurance was in response to apprehensions of the Indian Psychiatric Society that ‘lobbying’ was on in the Capital to see that mental illness was removed from the Disability Act since it was taken care of by separate Acts. Inaugurating the Annual Conference of Indian Psychiatric Society – Tamil Nadu, Jagadeesan added that the Centre would definitely not take any decision that would adversely affect the welfare of the mentally ill.
About one crore people in the country are affected by mental illness, though awareness in this regard is low. Stating that financial assistance for schemes taken up by various states would not be found wanting, the Minister recalled the larger awareness about mental illness among people after the Erawadi fire tragedy in Tamil Nadu, in which inmates of a private asylum were burnt to death in a fire disaster.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Memorandum known as Delhi Declaration submitted to P.M.
- “Mental illness will not be removed from Disability Act”: Subbulakshmi Jegadeesan
- New Code of Conduct to encourage firms to employ disabled people in Sri Lanka
- Haryana, a role model for inclusive education
- Student develops ‘Braille Face’ for the visually impaired
- Family insurance scheme for disability caused due to mishap
- Haryana Government enhances unemployment allowance for the disabled
- D.U. to bring M.A. application fee for blind on par with S.C./S.T.s
- D.U. to strive for ‘inclusive’ campus; Ropes in N.G.O. to conduct access audit
- Sensors implanted in brain help paralysed man use thoughts to move cursor
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: