Volume 4 Issue 14 - July 15, 2006
D.U. to strive for ‘inclusive’ campus; Ropes in N.G.O. to conduct access audit
D.N.I.S. News Service – Delhi University (D.U.) seems to be trying to reform its ways, by giving a thought to the thousands of disabled students left out of the educational system for the simple reason that the University is absolutely inaccessible in every sense of the word, and the apathetic attitude of the concerned authorities.
Well, it seems to be going all out in trying to convince the media as well as the public regarding its sincerity in making the University barrier free and ‘inclusive’. As a first step in this direction, it has asked Samarthya, a non-government organisation, to conduct an access audit of the campus to make it barrier free. The University has also constituted an Equal Opportunities Committee to ensure that all sections of students have equal access to facilities.
The concerned N.G.O. has submitted the audit report to the Dean of Students’ Welfare. Among suggested changes are tactile map and tactile markers to help blind students find their way in the campus, lowering of counters for wheelchair access, parking space for disabled students, signage, and accessible toilets in addition to other minor modifications.
With a history that is not so positive as far as its attitude to disabled students is concerned, it is to be seen whether the University is genuine in its efforts and whether it will act upon the suggestions of the N.G.O. in order to make its campus disabled-friendly.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Memorandum known as Delhi Declaration submitted to P.M.
- “Mental illness will not be removed from Disability Act”: Subbulakshmi Jegadeesan
- New Code of Conduct to encourage firms to employ disabled people in Sri Lanka
- Haryana, a role model for inclusive education
- Student develops ‘Braille Face’ for the visually impaired
- Family insurance scheme for disability caused due to mishap
- Haryana Government enhances unemployment allowance for the disabled
- D.U. to bring M.A. application fee for blind on par with S.C./S.T.s
- D.U. to strive for ‘inclusive’ campus; Ropes in N.G.O. to conduct access audit
- Sensors implanted in brain help paralysed man use thoughts to move cursor
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: