Volume 2 Issue 15 - August 01, 2004
An arena for the intellectually disabledDNIS News Network -- Special Olympics Bharat has developed a strategy to encourage and enable India’s intellectually disabled to participate in sports.
Special Olympics Bharat (SOB) recognises the need to involve intellectually challenged children in their outreach programmes. A three-day meet of 45 sports directors from 24 states of India was held with that aim in mind. They established plans to expand partnership programmes in approximately 2,000 special schools in the country and build synergies with similar organisations.
Their effort is part of developmental plans of Special Olympics International, a movement founded by Eunice Kennedy Shriver in 1968.
The Chairman of SOB, Mr Denzil Keelor says, “The time has to not only focus on economic growth alone, but to take the special children of our society along the path of growth.” This statement attains value in the light of the recent World Heath Organisation estimates, which state that 30 million people in India are suffering from intellectual disabilities. Currently, the healthy athlete and leadership programmes cover only 0.126% of the country’s intellectually disabled population.
Through sports we want o develop their fitness, health, demonstrate courage, personality and potential,” said Mr Keelor explaining the motive of the programme.
SOB has to raise their volunteer coaches to 10,000; involve athletes and medical physicians for health screenings and add several sports and games, like cricket, gymnastics, power lifting and tennis, to their existing list. The only block in their path is the lack of funds and funding options in India.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Simple test to detect walking problem
- Youth work for a social cause
- Disabled children shine through
- An arena for the intellectually disabled
- â€˜Expressionsâ€™ to be a guiding light to disturbed kids
- Deepalaya marks 25 years of serving the marginalised
- Club-foot clinic unable to cope with increasing demand
- Budget is a farce for disabled children
- No disappointment for disabled students in DU
- â€˜Jeenaâ€™ gives disabled immigrant children a new ray of hope
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: