Volume 2 Issue 15 - August 01, 2004
Club-foot clinic unable to cope with increasing demandDNIS News Network -- The only club-foot clinic in North India faces a ‘patient deluge’ as patients trickle in from surrounding states.
Situated in New Delhi, the Kalavati Saran Hospital is the only hospital in North India which houses a clinic catering to club foot treatment. The CTE syndrome, more commonly known as club-foot, is a congenital disorder that affects one in every 1,000 children. Urgency for treatment lies in the fact that the child born with a twisted foot can be treated non-surgically only if treatment is administered before he turns one.
As the child grows older, treatment becomes more complicated and surgical methods like Joshi’s External Stabilisation System (JESS) are used.
As there is no other medical aid in North India catering to this deformity, the hospital gets bombarded with floods of new patients every week. According to doctors at the clinic, Delhi alone has about 10,000 existing cases of club-foot with the number going up by 2,000 every year. On an average the clinic gets about 60-80 patients ever week, half of which are new patients. With the number of doctors posted at the two-hour clinic never exceeding 10, patients can sometimes be given appointments after two weeks, even at the cost of compromising on their treatment.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Simple test to detect walking problem
- Youth work for a social cause
- Disabled children shine through
- An arena for the intellectually disabled
- ‘Expressions’ to be a guiding light to disturbed kids
- Deepalaya marks 25 years of serving the marginalised
- Club-foot clinic unable to cope with increasing demand
- Budget is a farce for disabled children
- No disappointment for disabled students in DU
- ‘Jeena’ gives disabled immigrant children a new ray of hope
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: