Volume 3 Issue 15 - August 01, 2005
Terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir using people with learning disabilities for planting explosives
D.N.I.S. News Network - Reports of the terrorist blood-bath in Kashmir incapacitating people and causing severe mental and physical disabilities have become routine, but in a shocking revelation the State’s police has claimed that the terrorists have started using people with learning disabilities to plant explosives.
In a first such incident of over a decade-and-a-half long insurgency in the State, Police claimed that one Shaukat Hussain, (21), who died on 12 July after an Improvised Explosive Device (I.E.D.) he was carrying exploded, was a person with learning disability.
The incident was reported from violence-prone Surankot area of Poonch. The victim was the son of Shah Mir of Satthu Mohalla. “The youth was mentally-challenged and the terrorists were apparently using him for carrying or planting the I.E.D.,” Senior Superintendent of Police, Poonch, Shiv Darshan Singh Jamwal was quoted as saying.
For over a decade, the terrorists had been using animals for carrying the I.E.Ds. A few years ago, in Mahore, Udhampur, they had used animals for blowing up an Army camp.
“This is a severe human rights violation. The mentally-challenged youth are being used in militancy,” Mr Jamwal added.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Disablility Sector flays Draft National Policy for flouting international conventions
- C.A.B.E. meeting offers great hopes for Inclusive Education for children and youth with disabilities
- Involve disability expert in planning, design, implementation of Delhi Master Plan: Sheila Dikshit
- Order issued by Andhra Government to include person with Dwarfism as Orthopaedic Disability
- War disabled pensioners to get free medical care
- Shocker for Disability Sector, â€śHandicapped Universityâ€ť comes up in U.P. with Stateâ€™s blessing
- National Disaster Management Authority constituted under Chairmanship of Prime Minister
- Northern Railway announces plan to make 40 stations accessible
- Final Draft for M.C.D. Building Byelaws to be made public for inviting suggestions
- S.C. issues notice to Union, State Governments on safety, access for visually impaired
- Delhi Gurudwaras go disabled-friendly
- Terrorists in Jammu and Kashmir using people with learning disabilities for planting explosives
- Mental disabilities still attributed to curse or evil spell in Nagaland: Survey
- Bombay High Court drubs Goa Government over non-implementation of Disability Act
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: