Volume 2 Issue 16 - August 15, 2004
Education Audit shows up lack of facilities for students with disabilities
DNIS News Network - An education audit carried out by National Centre For the Promotion of Employment for Disabled People has drawn attention to the appalling lack of facilities for students with disabilities.
Until now, no systematic survey has been carried out on the issue. NCPEDP sought to redress the situation by sending a comprehensive questionnaire to all 322 Universities in India. Out of those, 119 institutions responded. Many notable centres, including Delhi University, All India Institute of Medical Sciences, New Delhi, Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi, Bangalore University, Karnataka, University of Calcutta, West Bengal and University of Calicut, Kerala were among those that failed to respond.
The 119 Universities surveyed have between them enrolled just 1,635 students with disabilities. With an estimated 6 per cent of young people in India going to Universities, it could be expected that there would about 3,60,000 students with disabilities. However, if the respondents are taken as representatives of all universities in India, the results showed the stark reality that the figure is less than 4,000.
Javed Abidi, Executive Director of NCPEDP slammed the results, saying: "This provides conclusive proof that disabled students are still being excluded from the present education system".
The findings came out in an interim report from NCPEDP. The full results of the 2004 Education Audit will be published next month.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Breaking down barriers
- Education Audit shows up lack of facilities for students with disabilities
- Ministry told to refile dyslexia affidavit
- NCPEDP celebrates Independence Day with the launch of its inclusive education campaign
- 72 days of dharna; Government yet to take action
- Physically disabled boy fights for the right to study
- CAG says government not meeting targets for employment
- DNIS - the way forward
- DPI meeting discusses strategy
- Government to notify welfare schemes for the disabled students by October
- Incentives policy meeting organised
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: