Volume 2 Issue 16 - August 15, 2004
DNIS - the way forward
DNIS News Network - A one-day review meeting for Disability News and Information Service (DNIS) was held on August 10 in New Delhi.
Organised by National Council for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (NCPEDP) the day brought together disability activists, academics and journalists from around the country to promote DNIS. It was organised with support from the European Community and De Samvirkende Invalide-organisationer (DSI) Denmark.
The delegates came together to discuss how information and news on disability issues can help in empowering disabled people by making them, their family members and the society at large aware of their rights.
Javed Abidi, Executive Director, NCPEDP said, "through this provision of information we aim to mobilise NGOs, politicians, media, parents, disabled people, educationists, lawyers, architects, designers, town planners and other civic bodies to create a disabled-friendly and barrier-free society." He further added, "this will help in bringing disability on the agenda in various forums, to influence policy matters and planning decisions."
In order to ensure DNIS as a truly national news service and a single source of accurate information on disability issues, delegates were urged to help with the enormous task of keeping track of events in India's disability sector.
The response was encouraging, and it is hoped that the results will be seen over the coming months, as DNIS reports more regional developments and becomes less focused on happenings centred in and around Delhi.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Education Audit shows up lack of facilities for students with disabilities
- Ministry told to refile dyslexia affidavit
- NCPEDP celebrates Independence Day with the launch of its inclusive education campaign
- 72 days of dharna; Government yet to take action
- Physically disabled boy fights for the right to study
- CAG says government not meeting targets for employment
- DNIS - the way forward
- DPI meeting discusses strategy
- Government to notify welfare schemes for the disabled students by October
- Incentives policy meeting organised
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: