Volume 3 Issue 16 - August 15, 2005
A.P. Court rejects bar set by M.C.I. for admission to M.B.B.S. under disability quota
D.N.I.S. News Network– In a landmark judgement, the Andhra Pradesh High Court has directed N.T.R. University of Health Sciences, Vijayawada, to accept applicants with 40% disability for allotments of seats for M.B.B.S. courses in accordance with provisions of Persons with Disability Act, 1995.
The judgement ends confusion perpetrated by the Medical Council of India (M.C.I) that had arbitrarily fixed requirement of 50 to 70 per cent disability for allotting seats to candidates.
The Order dated 20 July, was issued while hearing a petition by K. Mounesh who has applied for counselling to get admission in to M.B.B.S. course under N.T.R. University of Health Sciences under physically handicapped category. But to his shock, he discovered from the prospectus that persons with locomotor disability between 50 to 70 per cent are only eligible under physically handicapped category.
Mounesh had also filed a petition with the Office of the Chief Commissioner for Persons with Disability for justice and against this discriminatory clause. Deputy-Commissioner T.D. Dhariyal then issued a letter advising N.T.R. University and other universities not to deprive persons with disabilities between 40 to 49 per cent from consideration for admission against 3 per cent quota of seats, as the same is against the statutory provisions of Persons with Disability Act, 1995.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- N.C.P.E.D.P Launches National Campaign for Barrier-Free India
- Confederation of Indian Industry to soon unveil its Disability Policy
- H.C. seeks report from D.U. on steps taken to make structures accessible
- Public Sector Bank employees with disability cannot be transferred: H.C.
- G.A.I.L. C.M.D. threatens D.R.G. with criminal action
- A.P. Court rejects bar set by M.C.I. for admission to M.B.B.S. under disability quota
- India â€˜least inclusiveâ€™ among Asian nations: Disability survey
- Despite immunisation drives, Rajasthan and other States report fresh polio cases
- British media accuses Teresaâ€™s nuns of tying up children with mental disabilities
- Visit by American disability activist highlights inefficacy in implementation of Indiaâ€™s disability
- Third Regional Consultative Meeting at Kolkata to forge roadmap for Inclusive Education
- North-East and East Zone Partnersâ€™ Meet held in Kolkata
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: