Volume 2 Issue 17 - September 01, 2004
Aanchal to help mentally challenged children
DNIS News Network - The NDMC has inaugurated Aanchal, an intervention centre to help detect disabilities in mentally challenged children.
The New Delhi Municipal Council (NDMC) has set up an early Intervention Centre at Aanchal Special School for Mentally Handicapped Children in Chanakya Puri. The new unit is designed to caring for mentally disabled children from the ages of 0 to six years, with the coordination of society and parents.
The centre's staff is trained to detect disability at an early stage. The subsequent care and attention helps the children to achieve their full potential.
The NDMC Secretary UK Worah urged parents to be alert and careful, and not to ignore the needs of their children, as with timely care, such children could be cured.
The NDMC Director (welfare) Ranjana Deswal, listed out the details of the programme. He pointed out that the first six years of a child's life are crucial for learning and growth. For this reason, professionals at the centre will be assessing, guiding and supporting children and their families through producing pamphlets, organising workshops for parents and enabling interaction with professionals.
The unit will coordinate with NDMC's Hospital and Mother & Children Welfare Centres in order to get early referrals. It will also conduct training programmes for health workers to help them identify the children with disabilities.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Rajiv Gandhi scholarship awards for disabled students
- 98.8% disabled students don't get higher education
- High Court sensitive to stuttering assistant
- Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan to serve education needs of disabled children
- Disability Law Units convene in Delhi
- A music album to raise money for disabled children
- Job opportunity for the physically disabled
- Aanchal to help mentally challenged children
- Referral units for disabled throughout the country
- Self-employment opportunities in Faridabad
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: