Volume 3 Issue 17 - September 01, 2005
Delhi Chief Minister calls for launching freedom movement for barrier-free India
D.N.I.S. News Network - Delhi Chief Minister Sheila Dikshit has called for launching a new freedom struggle, similar to the one that saw India attain political independence, to make the nation barrier-free.
The Chief Minister said this while speaking on freedom for disabled people to access infrastructure, services and institution at the launch of a National Campaign for a Barrier-Free India by National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) on 15 August.
Speaking under the clear blue summer sky in the capital on India’s Independence Day, she said the struggle to attain a barrier-free India would require same great grit and determination as was displayed by people during the national independence struggle.
Extending support to the demand by N.C.P.E.D.P. that the National Capital should be made a model of access to inspire rest of the country to emulate its example, she said: “If we make Delhi totally barrier-free for disabled people, then we can present it as an example for the entire country…you have my support in this struggle.”
The Chief Minister unveiled the Access India logo for the National Campaign and released a Blue Print for making India barrier-free.
Speaking at the launch, Javed Abidi, Executive Director of N.C.P.E.D.P., stressed that even after almost six decades of independence disabled people are still fighting for their basic freedom and this day should be a day of reflection for all of us.
Former President Council of Architecture P.R. Mehta called for making a beginning for the materialization of this grand vision by making at least a colony in Delhi totally barrier-free and then moving on from there.
Ashwini Agarwal, Joint Secretary of National Association for the Blind (N.A.B.), said the demand for a barrier-free India is a very basic and not an earth-shattering one. Therefore it should be achievable.
Members of Deaf Way presented a mime; schoolchildren from N.A.B and youths from Blind Relief Association rendered patriotic songs to mark the 59th Independence Day at the function held at the India Habitat Centre.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Aloka Guha out of the race for the post of Chairperson, National Trust
- Delhi Chief Minister calls for launching freedom movement for barrier-free India
- Victim of systemic neglect, C.C.P.D. without a head for over a year now!
- Hundreds of people with visual impairment court arrest in Delhi over their demands
- Rajiv Gandhi Scholarship offers vital data to map educational status of disabled people
- People with visual impairment cannot be barred from appearing for Bank P.O. Exam: S.C.
- Another polio case reported from Uttar Pradesh, W.H.O. questions efficacy of immunisation drives
- Disabled people in Uttar Pradesh can now avail loans up to 20 lakh
- Orissa college agrees to extend age bar and 3% reservation for disabled students
- Five Andhra disability NGO’s implicated for abuse of funds
- Haryana earmarks Rs. 57 lakh to build ramps in 950 schools, plans resource centres at block-level
- Disability Law Unit’s team discovers shocking violation of disability rights in Kerala
- Freedom on wheels! Rajiv Gandhi Foundation distributes three-wheelers to disabled people
- Aishwarya to campaign for polio eradication programme in Pakistan
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: