Volume 3 Issue 17 - September 01, 2005
Freedom on wheels! Rajiv Gandhi Foundation distributes three-wheelers to disabled people
D.N.I.S. News Network – On the 61st birth anniversary of late Rajiv Gandhi, the Rajiv Gandhi Foundation (R.G.F) distributed 50 motorized three-wheelers to orthopaedically disabled people. These specially designed and engineered three-wheelers turned out be a major draw not only for the recipients but also for other invitees who were taken in the sheer looks of the vehicle.
With access being a major hurdle for disabled people, these vehicles promise to make life a lot easier for the recipients and prove to be a major tool in fulfilling their dreams. In a ceremony held at 10 Janpath, United Progressive Alliance (U.P.A.) Chairperson and Congress President Sonia Gandhi gave away the three-wheelers on 20 August to disabled individuals, including 29 women, selected from across the country.
"The vehicles are aimed at providing mobility to disabled persons and help integrate them into the mainstream. These three-wheelers otherwise unaffordable, have been designed to facilitate easy use for persons with disability,'' Senior Programme Officer Shahnaz Akhtar was quoted as saying in a news daily.
Bingo, as the vehicle has been named, is an outcome of designing, based on the feedback from individuals who have benefited under the programme. The model has wide screen canopy, ample storage space for crutches, safety protection and hand-operated lever for self-start.
Dr. Sourav, a post-graduate medical student from Bihar who has post polio paralysis, claimed that `Bingo' has given him new hope. "I qualified for post-graduate course at All India Institute of Medical Sciences and the Indian Institute of Technology, Kharagpur but both the institutes are not disabled friendly and I had to stay back in Bihar for my higher studies. The new vehicle will help in many ways,'' Dr. Sourav told the news daily.
Thirty-five-year-old Vinod Chander businessman and social worker said: "The vehicles will help us to commute independently and go to villages where I work.''
For some, the vehicles would mean dignity while commuting to workplace. S. Sarasu, who works as a technical assistant with the Electronic and Radar Development Establishment, Bangalore said: “I find it very difficult to go to my office. Very often I have to face a lot of humiliation. This vehicle will solve all my problems.” Sarasu also underwent a training session on how to drive her Bingo safely.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Aloka Guha out of the race for the post of Chairperson, National Trust
- Delhi Chief Minister calls for launching freedom movement for barrier-free India
- Victim of systemic neglect, C.C.P.D. without a head for over a year now!
- Hundreds of people with visual impairment court arrest in Delhi over their demands
- Rajiv Gandhi Scholarship offers vital data to map educational status of disabled people
- People with visual impairment cannot be barred from appearing for Bank P.O. Exam: S.C.
- Another polio case reported from Uttar Pradesh, W.H.O. questions efficacy of immunisation drives
- Disabled people in Uttar Pradesh can now avail loans up to 20 lakh
- Orissa college agrees to extend age bar and 3% reservation for disabled students
- Five Andhra disability NGO’s implicated for abuse of funds
- Haryana earmarks Rs. 57 lakh to build ramps in 950 schools, plans resource centres at block-level
- Disability Law Unit’s team discovers shocking violation of disability rights in Kerala
- Freedom on wheels! Rajiv Gandhi Foundation distributes three-wheelers to disabled people
- Aishwarya to campaign for polio eradication programme in Pakistan
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: