Volume 4 Issue 17 - September 01, 2006
Union Health Minister admits India will miss polio eradication target
D.N.I.S. News Network In all likelihood, India will miss its polio eradication target and its efforts will continue well beyond 2006, given the recent rise in figures of polio cases in recent months. This has also been confirmed by the Union Minister of Health and Family Welfare Dr. A. Ramadoss.
India is likely to miss the current eradication target, and transmission of wild polio virus may continue beyond end 2006, the Health Minister stated in the Rajya Sabha recently. Spelling out the latest figures, he said that 155 confirmed polio cases have been reported this year.
The number is more than double of what was reported last year. Of the cases reported this year, a majority were detected from Uttar Pradesh (U.P.) and Bihar. While polio cases had earlier been concentrated in a fairly restricted area of Western U.P., recently it has shown a geographical spread with a few cases being reported from Central U.P. also.
Dr. Ramadoss said a number of steps were being taken to plug the loopholes in the polio eradication programme. He stated that at a recent meeting of the Indian Expert Advisory Group, it was noted that a full twelve months of high quality activity would be necessary to ensure that immunity gaps are closed and transmission of the polio virus is stopped.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- History created - Convention on the rights of persons with disabilities adopted
- Government will provide care to the disabled: P.M
- Union Health Minister admits India will miss polio eradication target
- Vaccine fails; 160 new cases of polio in U.P.
- A ray of hope for Haemophilics - Health Ministry to set up P.F.U.
- Theme for World Sight Day 2006 is Low Vision
- Madras High Court Chief Justice calls for removal of lacunae in Disability Act
- Workshops held in Ranchi and Rajgir to sensitise P.A.C.S. partners
- Paralysed I.M.A. ex-cadet gets relief after 11 long years
- Delhi University to open multi-purpose Resource Centre in Braille
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: