Volume 4 Issue 17 - September 01, 2006
Vaccine fails; 160 new cases of polio in U.P.
D.N.I.S. News Network In a negative turn of events, 160 cases of polio have been detected in Uttar Pradesh (U.P.) this year alone. Whats more shocking is the fact that all those affected are children who were administered the polio drops.
Crores of rupees have been spent on polio campaigns in India. Yet, 160 cases have been reported from a total of 19 districts of western and central U.P. It is a matter of grave concern that the vaccine sent by W.H.O. has reportedly failed in the state. What more, the U.P. Health Minister Ahmed Hassan has admitted that all the polio cases had been detected in the children who were administered the polio drops.
Viewing these developments in a very serious light, the U.P. Government has removed the Director General of Family Welfare, B.L. Prasad. The state Governor T.V. Rajeswar is also reported to have written a letter to the Union Health Minister A. Ramadoss to get the vaccine investigated by a team of experts.
In 2005 there were only 29 new polio cases in U.P., as compared to 160 in 2006 with four more months to go! Moradabad with 52, J.P. Nagar with 17, and Badayun with 13 cases are reportedly the three most affected districts in the state.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- History created - Convention on the rights of persons with disabilities adopted
- Government will provide care to the disabled: P.M
- Union Health Minister admits India will miss polio eradication target
- Vaccine fails; 160 new cases of polio in U.P.
- A ray of hope for Haemophilics - Health Ministry to set up P.F.U.
- Theme for World Sight Day 2006 is Low Vision
- Madras High Court Chief Justice calls for removal of lacunae in Disability Act
- Workshops held in Ranchi and Rajgir to sensitise P.A.C.S. partners
- Paralysed I.M.A. ex-cadet gets relief after 11 long years
- Delhi University to open multi-purpose Resource Centre in Braille
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: