Volume 4 Issue 17 - September 01, 2006
A ray of hope for Haemophilics - Health Ministry to set up P.F.U.
D.N.I.S. News Network The Union Health Ministry has decided to set up Indias first Plasma Fortification Unit (P.F.U.) that will provide the life-saving F8 and F9 proteins to people having haemophilia.
This move of the Government will be a blessing for over 1.5 lakh Indians affected by haemophilia, as the prices of the imported F8 and F9 proteins are at present unaffordable to most. F8 protein, which is at present imported from the U.S., costs Rs. 9 per unit. In case of even a minor surgery, a severe haemophilic has to be infused with seven units of F8 per k.g. of body weight, three times a day, for a week before the surgery. Thus the expense would amount to Rs. 1 lakh or more. Others receive 5-7 units of the protein per k.g. of body weight every month as a precautionary measure. Those who need a monthly transfusion easily spend over Rs. 10,000 per month.
The P.F.U., at an estimated cost of Rs. 150 crore, is to be set up under the National A.I.D.S. Control Programme-III, and is expected to be ready in three years. Union Health Minister A. Ramadoss has stated that the P.F.U. will meet the F8 requirements of poor patients. He added that when India stops relying on imported F8 and F9 proteins, their prices will dip.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- History created - Convention on the rights of persons with disabilities adopted
- Government will provide care to the disabled: P.M
- Union Health Minister admits India will miss polio eradication target
- Vaccine fails; 160 new cases of polio in U.P.
- A ray of hope for Haemophilics - Health Ministry to set up P.F.U.
- Theme for World Sight Day 2006 is Low Vision
- Madras High Court Chief Justice calls for removal of lacunae in Disability Act
- Workshops held in Ranchi and Rajgir to sensitise P.A.C.S. partners
- Paralysed I.M.A. ex-cadet gets relief after 11 long years
- Delhi University to open multi-purpose Resource Centre in Braille
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: