Volume 2 Issue 19 - October 01, 2004
Disabled cricketers have a gala time in Delhi
DNIS News Network - Special Olympics Delhi (SOD) organised a two-day cricket tournament from September 15 at Jamia Milia Islamia University grounds.
The tournament had 48 teams from across Delhi divided into 11 zones; each zone played a 12-over match. Without the pressure that usually follows the senior national squad, the players, all above 15 years old, had a ball. The participants, all with physical or mental impairments, were divided into high ability and low ability groups, depending on their performance in the matches.
Harpreet Singh of the SOD said: "Their enthusiasm was unbelievable. Though the results were important, their only desire was to play. They wanted to bat, bowl and field, no matter who won at the end of the day."
Rajdeep Singh, a student from Poorti Special School took away title for the best left-arm spinner. He loves the game and adores Irfan Pathan and idolises Sachin Tendulkar. He recalled his greatest moment, when he was selected as part of this team to take on Sachin Tendulkar XI for a promotional venture: "Although I did not get to speak him, at least shook hands with him."
40 players are yet to be selected from the city for the National Tournament in Ahmedabad in December this year, where the final selections for Shanghai Special Olympics 2007 will be made.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Mumbai election officials ignore disabled voters
- Dharna moves Election Commission to action
- Progress on issue of Braille for visually impaired voters
- Seminar promotes inclusive education
- Devendra bags Paralympic Gold
- NCPEDP launches 6th annual Shell-Helen Keller Awards
- Disabled cricketers have a gala time in Delhi
- New sign language connects
- UP government to help disabled people become self-employed
- Dance and drama competition for disabled children
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: