Volume 2 Issue 19 - October 01, 2004
Dance and drama competition for disabled children
DNIS News Network - Disabled students gave an impeccable performance at a four-hour dance drama interschool competition on September 17 in New Delhi.
The performers were mentally and physically challenged children. But it made little difference to the audience who sat through a cultural spectacle that starred deaf children effectively communicating their point through sign language and those on crutches acting out skits on topics that ranged from honesty to deforestation.
About 20 schools for disabled participated in Bhangra dance and songs competitions, organised by an NGO, Very Special Arts India (VSAI).
Adding to the colour of the contest, were the costumes painstakingly crafted to make the children look like stars, flowers and fairies. A visibly thrilled Priyanka, 20, ran down from the stage in an indigo suit with black snakes made of cloth tied around her arms. She had just finished her role as a snake in a tale from the ancient text of animal fables 'Panchatantra' She giggled, "It was so much fun. I want to go on the stage once more."
Another participant Neha added, "It was nice. I wish we could have more such events. We practised for three days continuously. It was tough initially, but now we feel it was worth it all," she said excitedly.
"We might be disabled but we, too, can perform in our own way," said Kshitij, a wheelchair user.
Meera Singh, Secretary, VSAI, pointed out: "The programme was mainly aimed at encouraging participation and confidence building among disabled children. VSAI also conducts other innovative activities like a Ramayana on Wheels for those who can't walk, thematic Rangoli competitions and classical music sessions.
She added, "Isn't it obvious they are having so much fun? These little ones deserve this, after all they miss out so much in their lives otherwise."
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Mumbai election officials ignore disabled voters
- Dharna moves Election Commission to action
- Progress on issue of Braille for visually impaired voters
- Seminar promotes inclusive education
- Devendra bags Paralympic Gold
- NCPEDP launches 6th annual Shell-Helen Keller Awards
- Disabled cricketers have a gala time in Delhi
- New sign language connects
- UP government to help disabled people become self-employed
- Dance and drama competition for disabled children
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: