Volume 3 Issue 19 - October 01, 2005
Punjab H.C. seeks details on undertrials in mental institutions
D.N.I.S. News Network Taking note of media reports on large number of undertrials languishing in government mental institutions without having being convicted, the Punjab and Haryana High Court has directed the Punjab Government to furnish a fresh list of all the under-trial prisoners lodged in the Institute of Mental Health, Amritsar.
A Division Bench comprising Chief Justice D.K. Jain and Justice Hemant Gupta also sought other details and complete particulars of such undertrials. Among the details that have been sought are the court/jail, district of the place where they are jailed and the offences under which they are facing trial.
The Bench also asked the Court Counsel and Counsel for the State Government to assist the Ccourt as to why proceedings against such undertrial patients, depending upon the period of their confinement in judicial custody, not be quashed in light of their mental health. Hearing will now resume on October 20.
Some years ago, the High Court had taken suo motu notice of media reports regarding the issue. In fact, in 2003, Dr. A.S. Anand, Chairperson of the National Human Rights Commission (N.H.R.C.), had come across one Jai Singh, a mentally ill person undertrial at Ambala. The N.H.R.C. Chief, who was on a visit to Ambala, discovered that the undertrial had been in custody for nearly 17 years. The N.H.R.C. then became a party to the ongoing case in the High Court.
A report, prepared by the N.H.R.C., which talked of the steps needed to take in such case, was also submitted in the Court, according to a news report.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- National Consultation on National Disability Policy brings out unrepresentative framing process
- C.B.S.H.O.D. concludes with Islamabad Declaration to give a boost to disability rights movement
- Delhi H.C. issues notices to Government of India, Ministries concerned on issue of access
- N.C.P.E.D.P. calls for nominations for Shell Helen Keller Awards
- M.H.R.D. releases revised Action Plan on Inclusive Education for Children & Youth with Disabilities
- Delhi H.C. asks D.U. College to grant admission to a disabled student
- Wheelchair using siblings denied entry to a Delhi cinema hall
- C.I.I. ties up with N.C.P.E.D.P. to enhance awareness on employment for persons with disabilities
- Punjab H.C. seeks details on undertrials in mental institutions
- Centre to extend financial assistance to organisations providing services to persons with diabilties
- India on its way to total eradication of polio: Global Polio Eradication Initiative
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: