Volume 4 Issue 2 - January 15, 2006
Government of India to make access features mandatory for state & inter-state buses
D.N.I.S. News Network- In a landmark move that could revolutionize the passenger bus travel across India, the Union Transport Ministry, in consultation with the State Transport Ministers, has prepared a notification that would require city and inter-state buses, run by private operators and state-owned companies, to meet minimum safety and comfort standards, including providing access to disabled people, before being given a permit to ply on the road.
For millions of disabled people, the notification would mean a deeper penetration of the idea of access and universal design besides allowing dignified travel by the most used mode of transport that has up to now remained relatively untouched. Thus fulfills one of the demands of the disability movement for implementing provisions of the decade-old Disability Act, which calls for non-discrimination by mandating the re-designing of public buildings, rail compartments, buses and aircrafts among other things.
The guidelines, which would be issued under the Central Motor Vehicles Rules, would also create accreditation boards both at the national and regional level that would certify buses that meet the new norms. As many as 50,000 new buses hit the Indian roads each year.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- Government of India to make access features mandatory for state & inter-state buses
- Delhi High Court admits petition on non-implementation of Disability Act
- Another path-breaking judgement by the Delhi High Court
- Delhi Transport Minister approves pilot project for disabled-friendly bus terminal
- H.C. issues notices to Centre and U.P.S.C. on discriminatory norms for disabled category candidates
- Training syllabus for I.A.S. officers to include crosscutting perspective on disability
- Indiaâ€™s visually impaired highlight Governmentâ€™s apathy on World Braille Day
- S.C. awards compensation to an undertrial who spent over 50 years in a mental asylum
- Orthopaedically disabled Haryana State employees to receive higher special allowance
- Why are there no disabled-friendly cars on Indian roads? Asks National Human Rights Commission
- Tamil Nadu district representatives discuss on State-level Convention of Disabled People
- N.F.B. stages protest rally in the National Capital demanding to meet P.M.
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: