Volume 5 Issue 2 - January 15, 2007
Madras High Court directs states to set deadline for implementing Disability Act
D.N.I.S. News Network - Madras High Court Chief Justice A. P. Shah urged State Governments to formulate plans and set deadlines to implement the Persons with Disabilities (Equal Opportunities, Protection of Rights and Full Participation) Act, 1995.
The major deficiency in the Act was the absence of any time limit, he told the State Conference of the Tamilnadu Association for the Welfare of the Physically Handicapped adding that the States must provide temporary relief until the final measures were taken.
Shah stressed that the Commissioners appointed under the Act were never from the disability sector. "They invariably hold ostensible posting elsewhere and pay attention to their statutory duties under the Act in a cursory fashion."
The Chief Justice said that though the Act contained powerful provisions mandating the States to provide free education, transport and books to disabled children, “in no State, the Act is fully implemented. In rural areas, the position of disabled children is absolutely pathetic.” He also urged employers in the private sector to provide jobs to the disabled.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- 170 million children to get polio cover; U.P. and Bihar committed to give their best
- Madras High Court directs states to set deadline for implementing Disability Act
- Unemployment allowance for disabled people hiked
- Visually impaired children denied admission in schools in Capital
- Quota for disabled
- Chennai Institute of Mental Health to become a regional centre of excellence
- Braille computers for blind schools in Tamil Nadu
- Parents keep disabled girl child-sized; ethical debate on across the globe
- Hawking plans a trip to space
- Mother kills disabled children, commits suicide
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: