Volume 6 Issue 2 - July 01, 2009
MSJE urges Finance Minister to “keep people with disability in mind”
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: With the Union Budget likely to be out in the first week of July, the Ministry of Social Justice and Empowerment has written to the Finance Minister to keep the needs of disabled people in mind while preparing the budget.
The suggestions include more job programmes for the physically disabled, greater funding to ensure existing schools have better facilities for them and increased funds for more special schools. It also demanded that all major government schemes should have special allocations for people with disabilities.
Moreover, the ministry has asked for a cess to fund the education of children with disabilities, similar to the education cess already in force. It also wants all ministries to set aside 3 percent of their allocations for people with disabilities.
Funds have also been sought for a survey to collect data on the physically disabled. Another rnajor demand included lowering the income tax rates for employees with disabilities and total tax exemption for aids and devices that are used by such persons.
Better incentives have been sought for private firms that employ people with disabilities. The ministry has said there is a need to reconsider the incentive scheme proposed in the last budget for employers who hire disabled people. The aim was to provide 100,000 jobs but the incentives were not found to be attractive.
It is noteworthy that all these demands found mention in the suggestions already sent to the Finance Minister by N.C.P.E.D.P.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- MSJE urges Finance Minister to “keep people with disability in mind”
- Ministerial faux pas – D. Napoleon lets slip his ignorance on disability issues
- N.A.S.S.C.O.M. to set up accessibility forum
- Barrier free constructions in the next three years
- 99.8 percent disabled students do not make it to Class XII
- C.D.P.F. Executive Committee workshop in Uganda
- Core Group on Health to look into disability certificates
- ‘Readable’ to be launched soon
- Semi low floor buses not disabled friendly
- Visually impaired person treks to Beas Kund
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: