Volume 6 Issue 2 - July 01, 2009
Visually impaired person treks to Beas Kund
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: R. Gopalakrishnan has proved that you need vision more than sight to achieve impossible feats.
Gopalakrishnan, a 24 year old visually impaired person from Coimbatore, successfully trekked 62 kilometres to Beas Kund in Himachal Pradesh, located 12,500 feet above sea level, in June.
He trekked under the guidance of the National Adventure and Leadership School (N.A.L.S.) and crossed several mountain streams, snow clad slopes and boulders on the glacier enroute to Beas Kund.
Gopalakrishnan said the experience has greatly enhanced his self confidence. He said his mission in life now was to inspire all youth to overcome challenges and achieve their goals.
"As I could see nothing, like boulders, rivers, deep pits and slopes or heavy snow, there was no fear in my mind, unlike other trekkers who can see," he said.
Gopalakrishnan was assisted by two instructors in this expedition, along with six students. The expedition is a fund raising event for Sankara Eye Care Institutions and is dedicated to eradicating preventable and curable blindness in India through one of the largest rural outreach programmes.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- MSJE urges Finance Minister to ÔÇťkeep people with disability in mindÔÇŁ
- Ministerial faux pas ÔÇô D. Napoleon lets slip his ignorance on disability issues
- N.A.S.S.C.O.M. to set up accessibility forum
- Barrier free constructions in the next three years
- 99.8 percent disabled students do not make it to Class XII
- C.D.P.F. Executive Committee workshop in Uganda
- Core Group on Health to look into disability certificates
- ÔÇśReadableÔÇÖ to be launched soon
- Semi low floor buses not disabled friendly
- Visually impaired person treks to Beas Kund
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: