Volume 7 Issue 2 - January 15, 2010
Aamir Khan supports Inclusive Education
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: Bollywood actor, Aamir Khan was recently interviewed by Times of India. In a response to a question on what is wrong with the Indian education system and how it can be revamped, this is what he said, “The Indian educational system deals only with two intelligences – reading and writing. It does not focus on the development of any other intelligences, such as that of communication and caring. Students are expected to be proficient in subjects such as mathematics and science and the ones who cannot understand them are looked down upon.
Why is it so? Why are people who are able to sing neglected? Isn’t singing a skill too? The education system should be specially designed to accommodate and benefit all, particularly children with disabilities. There is an immediate need for inclusive education.”
At another event, the Economic Times’ award function in Mumbai, Khan said schools in the country still do not include children with major disabilities, or even minor disabilities or learning difficulties.
“We must include them in our mainstream education. I think it has to start from there. A child needs to be with friends, children of his own age. They have a right to be there and who are we to decide that they don’t belong there?”
And then, keeping on with his campaign, Aamir Khan cornered H.R.D. Minister, Kapil Sibal on N.D.T.V.’s show ‘Your call this week’.
Responding to Khan’s question on the need for inclusive education for children with disabilities, Sibal said, “in the course of the next five years, the government plans to lay the foundation of an inclusive school system.”
Way to go, Aamir Khan. Keep it up!
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- "D.P.O.s will have to play a central role in lobby and advocacy work for implementation of U.N.C.R.P.D.," Peter Rothe Schultz
- Proposed amendments to Disability Act upsets N.G.O.s
- Private sector backs draft Policy on Electronic Accessibility
- Additional Secretary, Ministry of Urban Development positive on revised access guidelines of N.B.C.
- Unleashing the Power of Assistive Technology at Techshare India 2010
- M.S.J.E. leads by example. Launches central ministry’s first accessible website
- Website on Indian Sign Language launched
- Union Government announces awards for websites having best accessibility features
- Aamir Khan supports Inclusive Education
- Brinda Karat voices out disability sector’s plight in Rajya Sabha
- Series of deaths at Asha Kiran
- 18 individuals to be conferred ‘I.B.N.7 and Bajaj Allianz Super Idols’ award
- Rights group from Manipur demands disability sector’s long pending dues
- Special recruitment drive to fill up backlog
- Web portal on disability writing
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: