Volume 8 Issue 2 - January 15, 2011
South Zone Consultation on ‘Census 2011 & Disability’
D.N.I.S. News Network, India: The consultation on ‘Census 2011 & Disability - Finding the Missing Millions’, organized by National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People (N.C.P.E.D.P.) in association with Vidya Sagar, was held at M.S. Swaminathan Research Foundation, Chennai on January 8. There were over 150 participants from all southern states, which included disability rights activists, N.G.O. heads, D.P.O.s, federation leaders, officials from the Social Welfare Department and Directorate of Census Operations.
South Zone Consultation in Chennai on January 8
During the first phase of the consultation, officials from the Directorate of Census Operations had a discussion with disability rights organizations on developing strategies to include all persons with disabilities in the Census exercise. S. Gopalakrishnan, Director of Census Operations in Tamil Nadu, elaborated the procedures undertaken in enumeration in the Census and answered questions related to disability.
Sensitizing media, educating leaders of different groups such as youth groups, disabled people’s groups, self-help groups and federations in creating awareness, organising campaigns, rallies, distributing pamphlets, putting up posters, ads, distribution of brochures, creating awareness through school and college students, volunteers at the block level were some of the strategies that were agreed upon.
Also, campaigning through various projects like Sarva Shiksha Abhiyan in all districts and rural areas, creating awareness among village health workers, anganwadis and mid-day meal workers would motivate them to ensure that disabled people are enumerated.
One of the most important points that was raised during the consultation was creating awareness among people with mental illness and their families, so that they are counted accurately in Census 2011.
DNIS is produced and managed by:
National Centre for Promotion of Employment for Disabled People
Screening Guidelines to be followed by CISF Security Staff for Passengers with Disabilities at Indian Airports
Rights of Persons with Disabilities Bill
Mental Health Care Bill
CRPD Monitoring Report
20 Stories of Change(book)
- List of Awardees 2015 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (2.7 MB)
- List of Awardees 2014 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1 MB)
- List of Awardees 2013 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (1.44 MB)
- List of Awardees 2012 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (804 KB)
- List of Awardees 2011 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (864 KB)
- List of Awardees 2010 :NCPEDP MPHASIS Universal Design Awards (623 KB)
SHELL HELEN KELLER AWARDS
NCPEDP-Shell Helen Keller Awardees 2013
- “The law drafters have made it clear that they are on the side of care givers’ interests,” Bhargavi Davar
- With blinkers on, a diminished Committee on new disability law goes on
- Protest in Chennai over new law on disability rights
- North Zone Consultation on ‘Census 2011 & Disability’
- South Zone Consultation on ‘Census 2011 & Disability’
- Commonwealth meet on disability
- S.C. warns states of contempt action on Disabilities Act
- Another case of discrimination surfaces in the Civil Services
- Provide modern technology for visually impaired employees: Bombay H.C.
- Web portal launched with jobs exclusively for disabled people
- 1971 war-disabled run Mumbai marathon
Disability News and Information Service is produced and managed by: